How do I add contacts to a list after they complete a PayPal transaction?
Use the PayPal Notification integration to expand your contact list after someone completes a PayPal transaction, such as making a purchase with a Buy Now button. The integration works both with buttons posted on your website and added to your GetResponse messages and landing pages.
PayPal offers a message service called Instant Payment Notification (IPN). It automatically sends IPN messages to sellers about new transaction events. When someone purchases your product, PayPal sends an IPN message. Our integration uses IPN messages to add new contacts to one of your lists.
Please note that clicking a Buy Now button is not the only way to add contacts to your lists. New contacts will be added when any of the following transactions are completed:
- a payment is received for multiple items (via Express Checkout or PayPal Shopping Cart)
- a payment is received for a single item (via Express Checkout)
- a payment is sent (using Mass Pay)
- a monthly subscription is paid for Website Payments Pro, Reference transactions, or Billing Agreement Payments
- a payment is received via Virtual Terminal
- a payment is received (source is either a Direct Credit Card (Pro) transaction or a Buy Now, Donation, or Smart Logo for eBay auctions button
- a payment is received (from the Send Money tab on the PayPal website)
- a subscription payment is received
- a subscription has started.
Before you begin
- You need a PayPal Business or Premier account to use this integration.
- Make sure you’ve already created a Buy Now button on your website. For instructions on how to create a button, go to the “How do I add a PayPal Buy Now button to a newsletter or landing page?” section in our article about PayPal integrations.
- Remember that new contacts are automatically added to a time-based autoresponder cycle if you’ve set it up for a given list.How do I set up the PayPal Notifications integration?
How do I set up the integration?
Log in to your PayPal account.
Select Profile from the top menu and click Profile and settings.
Select My selling tools and click Update in Instant payment notifications.
Click the Choose IPN settings button.
- Edit the instant notification settings. When you click the Choose IPN Settings button, you’re asked to provide a notification URL. You can get it in three simple steps (don’t log out of PayPal yet):
a. Open a new tab or window, and go to your GetResponse account. From Dashboard, go to Integrations & API (in the Profile menu).
b. Select the list you want your subscribers to be added to. Once you do this, you see a notification URL. This URL is specific to the list you’ve selected, and it works only once.
c. Copy the notification URL.
- Go back to your PayPal account and paste the URL in the Notification URL line. Then, select Receive IPN messages.
- Click Save. The Instant Payment Notification page opens. It displays your current IPN settings.
Please note: Contacts are added to your GetResponse list only when the payment status marked as “Completed.”
How do I stop the integration?
You can temporarily stop receiving IPN messages. Go to the PayPal notifications settings page and select Do not receive IPN messages.
When you choose this option, PayPal keeps creating and storing IPN messages. If you decide you want to receive IPN notifications again, go to Edit Instant Payment Notification (IPN) settings page in your PayPal account, and select Receive IPN messages.
To turn off the feature permanently, go to My selling tools and click Update next to Instant payment notifications. Then, click Turn Off IPN.
You can also disable the IPN directly in your GetResponse account. To stop receiving notifications, click Stop imports from PayPal. When you click Stop imports a prompt box appears. It tells you to remove the notification URL in your PayPal account. This step is necessary if you’d like PayPal to stop creating IPN messages for this URL (or you’d like to use a different link for a different list).
Go to My selling tools and click Update next to Instant payment notifications. Then, click Turn Off IPN. The link is automatically removed from the Notification URL field, and the IPN is turned off.